Saturday, March 23, 2013

Quilters Affair in Sisters, Oregon

Nothing is better than teaching in Sisters, Oregon.  OK, maybe Hawaii but I am stuck on the mainland for a while.  Jean and Valerie at Stitching Station in Sisters have set up a fun and wild week of mad stitching fun in July . If you have never been there, put it on your list. It’s great!  I am teaching a 2 day Hibiscus class, a 2 day new Hidden Beach class and a 1 day Bird Of Paradise class. I promised my students the supply list, color charts, and a little more information to get you ready for the class and here it is!
Let's start with the fabric first, the most important part.  I always say It’s all about the color and that is so true but what if you feel a little timid about how to choose color?  Here is a tips to help you in selecting your fabrics that I learned from Alex Anderson: More is always better.
First, realize that you may have to buy some new fabrics.  You will be making a beautiful art quilt that you will be proud to show off.  I guarantee it.  You are paying good money to take this class and to come to this wonderful retreat. Why would you not bring the best fabric you can?  Treat yourself to making a great quilt, which starts with beautiful fabrics. You don’t need yards of it for this class but you do need the right colors and values in that color to make this work.  The largest amount is ½ yard, the rest will be ¼ and 1/8 yards.  Fat quarter yards work great!  I personally have always been on the quilting budget, so I have had to be careful with the pennies I spend on my fabrics.  That is where the color chart comes into play. 


I have made a color chart to help you choose fabric colors and amounts. In class, I will help you make your color chart with the fabrics you bring.  The key to making a successful color chart is to bring more fabrics choices than are on the chart.  Example: if you can’t decide between 2 fabrics, just bring both.  That way we, together, can select the right colors for you.  You don’t have to know it all before class - I am there to help you, which is why you are taking the class!  Now, breathe.

Next supply you will need is Steam- A- Seam 2.  I don’t use the Lite because it doesn't stick as well as the 2.  It can be purchased in packages or by the yard - it doesn't matter but you will go through it like candy. When I say to bring 6 yards I mean 6 yards.

Another important tool is the scissors you bring to class.  You can’t build a house using a TV remote, right?  Do yourself a favor and bring some good, comfortable scissors.  You will need large ones (8”) and a small pair.  I did a blog on good scissors called Running With Scissors - you may want to read it before class. It’s kind of funny, too.

If you have any questions please email me.  If you can’t find Steam-A-Seam 2, you can buy it from me. Here’s the link to my web site. They will also have beautiful fabrics and Steam-A-Seam in Sisters.  
Now, download your supply list or I can mail you one if you don’t have a good printer.  I look forward to meeting you and playing with color. 

Hibiscus Class

Hibiscus Supply List:
  • Background fabric cut to 28"X 28" in a color you want your flower on.
  • Tweezers or stiletto to help you move small pieces around.
  • Sharp scissors in a variety of sizes - this is your most important tool for this technique.  I like large (8”), good quality scissors for cutting.
  • Sharpie markers, fine tip and bold in black
  • Pencil with eraser 
  • Small post-it notes
  • Glue stick
  • Straight pins - I like the larger ones with the yellow round heads.
  • 6 yds. Steam-A-Seam 2 - I like the 18”width, but any size or packages will do.
  •  Teflon pressing sheet (optional
To finish your quilt at home:
  • Sulky Rayon 30 weight thread, in colors that match your project
  • Jeans Denim needles or Top Stitch needles in size 12/80 or 14/90
  • 1 yd. batting -I like Dream Cotton in the lowest loft,Request.
  •  1 yd. backing fabric

Color Chart




Hidden Beach
 Size: 16" X 27"
This is a new pattern for me and I am so excited to teach this class. It's very dramatic and requires a lot of fabrics to get the painterly quality so I have added a few more pictures of this quilt because it needs more variety in your fabric selections. Yes, this is a lot of fabric but most of these colors are just ¼ or 1/8 yards.  This is where you can download the color chart and play around with your color palette. I am giving you the colors I made the original quilt in.  Feel free to adapt it to your style. Remember, we can get fabric there in Sisters, too.  I have included large pictures of my fabrics to help you get the idea of how the fabrics work together, but remember, this is your painting.

 Tree Branches 


Yes, there is lavender in my trees.


 Background Sky and Leaves


 Ocean and Sand

Sand
Ocean
Grasses, Hill, and Path





Hidden Beach Supply List
  • Tweezers or stiletto to help you move small pieces around.
  • Sharp scissors in a variety of sizes - this is your most important tool for this technique.  I like large (8”), good quality scissors for cutting.
  • Sharpie markers, fine tip and bold in black
  • Pencil with eraser to take notes 
  • Small post-it notes
  • Glue stick
  • Straight pins - I like the larger ones with the yellow round heads.
  • 6 yds. Steam-A-Seam 2 - I like the 18”width, but any size or packages will do.
  •  Teflon pressing sheet (optional)
To finish your quilt at home:
  • Sulky Rayon 30 weight thread, in colors that match your project
  • Jeans Denim needles or Top Stitch needles in size 12/80 or 14/90
  • 1 yd. batting -I like Quilters Dream 100% Cotton in the lowest loft, Request.
  •  1 yd. backing fabric



Hidden Beach Color Chart



Bird Of Paradise
Fell free to pick the greens you like - my colors are just a suggestion!



Bird Of Paradise  Supply List:
  • Background fabric cut to 24"X 18" in a color you want your flower on.
  • Tweezers or stiletto to help you move small pieces around.
  • Sharp scissors in a variety of sizes - this is your most important tool for this technique.  I like large (8”), good quality scissors for cutting.
  • Sharpie markers, fine tip and bold in black
  • Pencil with eraser for taking notes
  • Small post-it notes
  • Glue stick
  • Straight pins - I like the larger ones with the yellow round heads.
  • 4 yds. Steam-A-Seam 2 - I like the 18”width, but any size or packages will do.
  •  Teflon pressing sheet (optional)
To finish your quilt at home:
  • Sulky Rayon 30 weight thread, in colors that match your project
  • Jeans Denim needles or Top Stitch needles in size 12/80 or 14/90
  • 1 yd. batting -I like Dream Cotton in the lowest loft,Request.
  •  1 yd. backing fabric
Bird Of Paradise Color Chart
Color A is a lime green/yellow. Background color D is black, dark navy or dark brown.
Colors A-O are the leaves in the background and  P-Z are for the Bird.













No comments:

Post a Comment